The Mary Tavy sites lie entirely within Dartmoor National Park. They form part of the open moorland of Kingsett Down and Black Down Common with some river valleys and mixed deciduous woodland of particular ecological value.
Walkers, cyclists, and horse riders are permitted to use the numerous bridleways that cross over the area, but should stick to authorised routes in order to limit the ecological damage.
Construction of the Tavistock canal began in 1803, and was officially opened in 1817. It provided a navigable route for the transportation of mining and agricultural produce from Tavistock to Morwellham, where it was shipped on to Plymouth. It remained in operation until 1871 when, like most other canals in England at that time, it was superceded by the railways.
The section of the canal managed by SWLT lies within Tavistock itself, and provides a valuable recreational, and educational facility.
For further information
Telephone: 01647 277587
- woodland walk footpath